The Annual National Peace Officers’ Memorial Service will be held on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol at 12:00 p.m. on Monday, May 15. This ceremony honors law enforcement officers who were killed in the line of duty. The Roll Call of Heroes read during the ceremony will honor the peace officers who lost their lives in the line of duty in 2022.
Street Closures & Bus Restrictions
To ensure everyone’s safety during the event, the following roads will be closed through 8:00 p.m. on Monday, May 15:
- First Street between Constitution Avenue, NW and Independence Avenue, SW
- Pennsylvania Avenue between First Street, NW and 3rd Street, NW
- Maryland Avenue between First Street, NW and 3rd Street, SW
Tour buses will be rerouted to Union Station for passenger loading and unloading.
Law Enforcement Personnel
- Armed law enforcement personnel in uniforms are required to present valid police credentials and one other form of identification.
- Armed law enforcement in plainclothes are required to present valid police credentials plus one other form of identification, and must wear their badge and have it clearly visible.
- Retired law enforcement personnel are not permitted to be armed and are encouraged to secure their weapons prior to the service.
The entrances for attendees will be at Third and Maryland Avenue, SW, and Third and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.
The following items will be prohibited from entering through the screening points:
- Air horns
- Animals (other than service animals)
- Bags exceeding 18” x 14” x 8.5”
- Chairs (other than those for disabled persons)
- Drones and other unmanned ground or aircraft systems
- Explosives of any kind (including fireworks)
- Glass and Metal Containers
- Knives, blades, or sharp objects (of any length)
- Laser Pointers
- Mace and/or Pepper Spray
- Pocket or Hand Tools, such as “Leatherman”
- Selfie Sticks
- Structures such as folding tables, canopies and tents
- Signs or supports for signs exceeding 5x3x1 made of any material except cardboard, poster board or cloth
- Toy Guns
- Weapons of any kind
- Umbrellas larger 36” in diameter (those smaller than 36” will be allowed)
- Other items that may pose a threat to the security of the event as determined by and at the discretion of the security screeners.
Originally published at https://www.uscp.gov/media-center/press-releases/national-peace-officers-memorial-service